Letter carriers in Lee County are gearing up for the 25th annual national letter carrier food drive. The nation’s largest single-day food drive, “Stamp Out Hunger,” will be held on Saturday, May 13. This is the one day when letter carriers collect non-perishable food that has been left by mailboxes.
Summer is coming, school will be out, and the need for food assistance will be great. Food collected in Lee County will be distributed by the Harry Chapin Food Bank and several other agencies. All food collected in food drives are distributed to participating agencies at no cost.
Volunteers are needed to assist with preliminary food sorting on May 13.
We are now scheduling volunteers to help at each post office. We will have various shifts by post offices. Here is the list of post offices and their shift times:
• Cape Coral Central, 1030 SE 9th Ave, Cape Coral, shifts: 1-3 pm, 3-5 pm and 5-7 pm
• Downtown Fort Myers, 1350 Monroe Street, Fort Myers, shifts: 1-3 pm and 3-5 pm
• Page Field, 2655 N Airport Rd, Fort Myers, shifts: 12-2 pm, 2-4 pm and 4-6 pm
• Carrier Annex (South Fort Myers), 14651 Six Mile Cypress, Fort Myers, shifts: 12-2 pm, 2-4 pm and 3-5 pm
• North Fort Myers, 1882 N Tamiami Trail, North Fort Myers, shifts: 1-3 pm, 3-5 pm and 5-7 pm
• Tice, 4585 Palm Beach Blvd, Fort Myers, shifts: 12-2:30 pm and 2:30-5 pm
**Interested in volunteering at the Fort Myers Beach Post Office? Please let Tanya know!**
**Strong volunteers are needed for set-up, 30 minutes before the first shift starts at each post office! Please contact Tanya to schedule!**
Please sign up through our volunteer information center. Go to http://www.harrychapinfoodbank.org/donate/volunteer, then click on “VOLUNTEER INFORMATION CENTER.” If you have not volunteered within the last 12 months, or never completed the volunteer application, you will need to do so, before logging into the volunteer information center. If you need assistance, please contact Tanya at email@example.com or (239)334-7007 ext. 141.
Please remember our volunteer guidelines: No open toed shoes. No volunteers under the age of 12. Volunteers age 12-15 must be accompanied by an adult. This is an outdoor event; please remember to dress accordingly-sunscreen and a brimmed hat for sun and jacket in case of rain.
Interested in assisting the letter carriers pick up the food? Contact Kim Berghs at firstname.lastname@example.org or (239)433-7547.